Sharonview Cares Scholarship in memory of Paul Paliyenko
We're proud to support the academic goals of our young members. Each year, we honor deserving students with scholarship money to help with the costs of their undergraduate degree by awarding the Sharonview Cares Scholarship in memory of Paul Paliyenko.
Scholarship Application Update:
The online scholarship applications window is open from October 1, 2020 until February 1, 2021. After the deadline, you can still visit the scholarship portal to check on the progress of the scholarships. No further changes made be made to your application after February 1, 2021.
About the Scholarship
Paul Paliyenko, who served on Sharonview’s Board of Directors for more than 25 years, felt it was the Credit Union’s first duty to serve its members. He insisted that it was the responsibility of the Credit Union to create not only the best returns for its members, but to establish a trusting relationship with them. Paliyenko’s drive to care for the member is why we honor his memory with the Sharonview Cares Scholarship.
Sharonview is partnering with the Carolinas Credit Union Foundation to offer a smooth and easy-to-manage application process for our members. There's a simple sign up process which allows you to manage your scholarship application through their portal.
In addition to the two Paul Paliyenko scholarships, the Carolinas Credit Union Foundation is offering additional scholarship awards. An applicant that does not receive a scholarship award from Sharonview is automatically entered in the Carolinas Credit Union Foundation's scholarship pool.
Applicants will use the Scholarship Application Portal at the Carolinas Credit Union Foundation. The process is as follows:
- Create a login for the portal.
- Start a new scholarship application.
- Save your progress and return later if needed.
- Once submitted, you will not be able to make further changes to your application.
- Notifications and updates will be received through the portal.
Before starting the application, make sure you have the following documents to attach to the scholarship application.
- Obtain full transcript from an accredited educational institution. Partial transcripts and/or transcripts with a weighted GPA will not be considered for application.
- Secure documentation from school officials, volunteer organizations or employers for honors, awards and service hours.
- High School Seniors must submit a copy of their college acceptance letter with their application.
- College Freshmen must include both college and high school transcripts.
- Graduate Students must include the last year of undergraduate transcripts.
As part of the scholarship application, entrants will be asked to write an essay. Please be sure to take your time to craft your essay, as it is a very important part of the application.
2021 Scholarship Application Essay Prompt.
Please write an essay, not to exceed 300 words, on the following topic:
- COVID-19 has caused emotional stress and financial hardship for many in our country. As you get ready to take the next step in your educational journey, compose a letter to your pre-COVID self on how to prepare yourself financially for uncertain times.
To be eligible for one of our scholarships, you must meet these criteria:
- At least 16 years of age
- Have a non-weighted GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Accepted to or enrolled in an accredited college or university in Fall 2021 or Spring 2022. High School seniors and current undergraduate students can apply for funds to be used next school year.
- A member of Sharonview Federal Credit Union in good standing